'The Art of West Cork'
Skibbereen Arts Festival 2016
Art is everywhere in West Cork. In the scenery, in the people and in the atmosphere.
No matter where you go you are likely to bump into a practitioner or lover of the arts.
The eighth Skibbereen Arts Festival pays homage to this vital fabric of our community with a programme that is simply astonishing.
Musical highlights include
- a very special tribute night remembering Fergus O' Farrell and Colin Vearncombe with 'DogTailSoup & special guest Glen Hansard',
- Malian guitar sensation 'Vieux Farka Touré'
- Scottish superstar 'Eddi Reader',
- Canon Goodman Concert with 'The Casey Sisters' and 'Brendan Begley & Mike Hanrahan'.
Theatre highlights are the unique '4 Plays in a Day' returns with four exciting new plays
- Stephen Jones' 'From Eden'
- Lee Coffey's 'Leper + Chip' and
- Irene Kelleher's 'Mary and Me'.
- There's also a very unique 'Stroll with Shakespeare' with 5 scenes from 5 plays in 5 unusual venues around town.
Poetry and Spoken Work highlights include readings, discussions and presentations by writers including
- 'Theo Dorgan',
- 'Liz Nugent',
- 'Claudia Carroll',
- 'Martina Devlin'.
- John Minihan's illustrated talk of his encounters with Samuel Beckett 'Beckett and the Wake'
- And a whole plethora of poets at the spectacular '12-hour Poetry Marathon'.
An incredible Film Festival will show a series of beautiful and thought-provoking films and documentaries from around the world, including
- an exclusive screening of the recently completed 'Rebel Rossa',
- Steven Riley's 'Listen to me Marlon',
- Laurie Anderson's 'Heart of a Dog',
- an outdoor screening of cult classic 'Quackser Fortune has a Cousin in the Bronx',
- for children, a screening of the very first Walt Disney film 'Snow White'.
An amazing array of visual art exhibitions are happening throughout the town as Skibbereen itself becomes a gallery for the week, with the work of over 50 artists on display.
· Works from the Angela Flowers Collection at Downeen',
· Rita Duffy's 'Souvenir Shop',
· the international archeology and sculpture symposium 'Umha Aois',
· a performance of Karen Power's Instruments of Ice by the Quiet Music Ensemble taking place amongst John Kelly'sexhibition of large paintings produced in Antarctica.
We open this year with a free and very special 1960s Street Party including a world premiere performance of some Beatles classics by a version of 'Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' put together especially for the occasion.
The programme also features some stunning nature and history walks and lots of interesting and educational workshops for all ages.
Tickets for all events on skibbereenartsfestival.com
Skibbereen Arts Festival
Press information: Claire Murphy
Tel: 086 8137200
Schull Agricultural Show 50th Anniversary
A great family day out! The 50th anniversary of Schull Agricultural Show will be held at Schull town park on Sunday July 24th! We have many new features at the show some of which being free face painting, Gers mobile pet farm, the country market and of course the Horse Show which has its main attraction of the Working Hunter class held at 4pm. See latest here