Cork’s Oldest Bridge
Glanworth, on the R512, is 8 km northwest of Fermoy in County Cork, and has the oldest bridge in the county. The 12 arched low stone bridge over the River Funcheon dates from 1446, at least according to an old guide by the Reader’s Digest! It is still carrying traffic but its one lane is nowadays regulated by traffic lights.
The bridge is some 150 yards long and above it are the ruins of an ancient castle (13th century) and alongside is an old woollen mill (1840s).